Peace Park is dedicated to all fallen soldiers of World War II. Located at Layang-Layangan Village in the west coast of Labuan. This beautifully landscaped park has developed into a place of pilgrimage for those who visit Labuan. Located next to it is Surrender Point. It was built as a memorial where the commander of the Japanese Army surrendered to the Australian on September 9th, 1945, which led to the end of World War II in Borneo.
Situated at Tanjong Kubong, the Chimney is the only reminder of the coaling days of Labuan. The coal-mining era started in 1847 and ended in 1912. During that time, Labuan was used as a coaling station for ships sailing to the Far East. A single rail track was constructed to transport coal to the Victoria Port.
Constructed in 1878, it was recently renovated and converted into a palace museum. It is a building of love, named after the wife of the second White Rajah. The fort commands a breathtaking and strategic position along the Sarawak River. Its location was deliberately chosen to overlook the long straight stretch of river approaching Kuching. Now a palace museum, it houses a rare collection of Royal Regalia and historical paraphernalia.
Istana Darussalam or Darussalam Palace which stands on the banks of the Sungai Kedayan is one of the finest examples of traditional Malay architecture of its time.
It was first built of wood in 1947 and later had several parts such as the pillars and beams were replaced by concrete structures. This imposing green and brown building with the delicate yet practical lines of a Malay house at one time stood out majestically.
It was here that His Royal Highness the Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan was installed as the Bendahara (First Wazir) on 15th July 1947. His Majesty the Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddien Waddaulah (the present Sultan) was born in this palace on 15th July 1946.
Today it stands in contrast to the clusters of Kampung Ayer houses and a shopping complex that sprawl on either side of it on the river banks.
The interior of the palace is simply furnished, reflecting the best in fashion of its time. The flooring is of teak parquet which still maintains highly polished condition. The walls of the reception hall or balai are decorated with photographs of the Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan and the royal family.
Just as in traditional Malay style houses, the windows in parts of the palace open right down to the floor. Inside, the exposed beams are typical of traditional Malay architecture. The front entrance to the palace itself is most typically Malay with a landing half way up the stairs. Part of the ground floor of the Istana was used as private office during the time when the Paduka Seri Begawan Sultan was holding the title of Bendahara.
Work on construction of the Istana Darul Hana commenced in July 1950 and was completed in April 1951. The project has entailed a considerable amount of work involving extensive site preparation commenced in 1948.
The Istana Darul Hana was the official residence of Sultan Haji Omar Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien (Sultan’s late father), the 28th Sultan of Brunei.
The Palace was built on a hilltops and not far from the bank of the Brunei river. It is situated near to the country’s centre of administration.
During the 15th century, Brunei was the dominant power in the region under the reign of Sultan Bolkiah, the 5th Sultan of Brunei.
His cemetery lies on the banks of the Brunei River at Jalan Kota Batu near the Brunei Museum, marked by a mausoleum to preserve the ancient tomb.